Re: newcomer

From: Sabina & Franz (franz@niedermeyer.org)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 13:29:06 CEST

Believe it or not, Lucent has provided a binary for using their Winmodem
under Linux. I don't have a link, but a Google or Altavista search for
'linux lucent winmodem' might be fruitful.

Naturally, this does not guarantee functionality with muLinux, but it is
said to work with with most of the large distributions.

Has anyone had any real experience with this? What is the performance or
functionality penalty of using the PC's own CPU for signal processing?

Personally, I will not choose to save a handful of change by buying a modem
without its own brains. There is little excuse in today's cheap technology
market for this kind of short-sighted savings, yet I fear it may only get
worse as cable 'modems' and laser printers etc. become 'windependent.'

-Franz