Re: [mu TECH] Midnight Commander's F3 View starts slow?

From: Arvid Nymoen (arvidny@powertech.no)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 14:13:44 CET

At 04:20 11.02.00 -0500, you wrote:
Now it seems that mc's F3 key, which views files, takes about 8
>seconds to load a file.

Yes, it's slow in mulinux - a little faster in an ext2-partition, though.

>In at least one other mc version, F3 calls mcedit, with a command line
switch
>that runs it in view mode.

I have only seen Midnight Commanders using the F4 for editing.
And I think the F4 is the correct key as Midnight Commander
is a clone of the Norton Commander of the eighties (and later).
You'll find DOS/Windows clones like Volkov Commander, Disc Commander,
S1alamander, Windows Commander and others. All use F4 for editing.

By the way, Midnight Commander is a tool I really cannot live without
in linux - and Volkov/Norton in DOS/Windows95. Textbased file
managers are so much faster and easier than the graphic
alternatives.

Yous Arvid N.